The Colony Swarm Freecoaster hub is Colony's entry into the new world of Planetary-style freecoaster hubs. Utilizing Free Night's patented design, the Swarm features a planetary clutch system that allows the benefits of both cassettes and freecoasters. When rolling forward, the hub feels just like a normal cassette. Quick engagement from the pawls gives a nice, positive feel when pedaling. But as soon as the wheel rolls backwards, the clutch system disengages the pawls and you're in freecoaster mode, with infinite slack so long as your pedal speed does not exceed the wheel speed. Once rolling forward again, you're back in cassette mode. Another benefit of this design is that axial forces are greatly reduced which permits the use of standard sized bearings, making the weight of this hub more in line with that of a cassette. Colony even includes nylon hub guards for both drive and non-drive sides to help protect your new investment.
Note: Planetary freecoasters are designed to be run dry. If disassembled do not add any grease or lubricant to the internals of this hub.
- 30% lighter than conventional freecoaster hubs
- No gap when pedaling forward
- Eradicates unwanted engagement on rollbacks
- Feels and sounds like a cassette hub
- No need for oversized hub bearings due to low axial load
- Super-tough hollow male 14mm chromo axle
- Colony drive side and non-drive side hubguards included
- Only weighs 20.1 ounces!